Home > Uncategorized > 9.27-11.4.2010- A lot going on!

9.27-11.4.2010- A lot going on!

November 4th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

After returning from our adventure at Kerr’s Dam and Reservoir, Gracie and I decided to head to Avalon to pack it up and make a move to my place in Chesterbrook. We got all the boxes marked for the room they were to go to and called a mover- John Kane, Hercules Moving in Berwyn, fantastic for local moves. Sometime between deciding to go to Chesterbrook and actually arriving there we made another decision… to simplify our lives (i.e., minimize our homes) we would also sell Chesterbrook and make a move to Florida, preferably going to the Tampa area on the Gulf side. So now all of my worldly posessions (excluding some pictures still in Avalon and Chesterbrook, for “home staging”) are either boxed up in my Chesterbrook home or are aboard Scooter. Gracie has been instrumental in helping do all the packing (and giving away of unwanted/unnecessary stuff)- it never would have happened if left up to me!

A minor part of our charitable contribution…

IMG_6730 IMG_6832

Part of the stuff to be moved…

IMG_6890 IMG_6888

During the time up north, I decided to leave Scooter with Coastal RV in Smithfield, VA to have some minor work done (digital-analog converter for TV and fix a 110-volt circuit that was dead). She stayed there for about a month- I picked her up on Tuesday, the 26th of October.

So, I get about a half-mile down the road and notice that the dashboard is going berserk. The word VOLT appears where the mileage should be, the ABS light and trans warning light are lit and, most scary, a light that simply says WARNING is brightly lit. A u-turn gets me back to Coastal and the confession that 1) they had not caused it and 2) they had no idea how to fix it. They contacted Cummins, the engine manufacturer, and received a “not our problem” answer. Finally, they contacted Tidewater Express (a truck and bus repair facility) in Hampton, VA, about 40 miles away. I got the bus there later on the 26th, hoping for reasonably quick service (Delores, a service rep, asked if I would like to wait). Well, it is now November 4th and we are not going to be in sunny Florida by the 1st, as planned! The latest diagnosis is that the alternator was putting out about 18 volts to the system, way more than appropriate. They are thinking that this may have caused to engine’s computer to go haywire. As I write this on 11/4, we are awaiting news of the receipt of a new (rebuilt) alternator and praying that the computer was not adversely affected. If not we should be leaving tomorrow; if there was damage, who knows when we will get to Florida!

So our last month has been exciting and somewhat stressful. After all the packing of Avalon and Chesterbrook, we have spent a lot of time (while waiting for Scooter) on the computer checking out homes for sale in the Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs area near Tampa. The best news is that I got a bid on the Chesterbrook property that allows me to “get out from under” the mortgage payments and walk away with a little (and I mean a little) cash. We are planning that Ben Kane (John’s nephew) of Great Valley Moving and Storage, who does long distance moves, will put everything in Chesterbrook in storage before the settlement in mid-November and, when we have a place in Florida, pick up any items remaining in Avalon (a lot of pictures), do the same at Gracie’s place in Virginia, which is for sale) and bring it all to our new place in Florida.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. No comments yet.